Monday, May 25, 2009

on memorial day weekend, an admission

i was never a good Marine. 
always had an attitude. 
wasn't the greatest leader. 
thought my short/unsuccessful stint @ SDSU made me smarter than the rest. 
but i was lucky. very lucky. 
how i left the Corps a Sergeant with a stack of ribbons and virtually unscathed, still befuddles me. 
the gods of war looking over me - a SSgt once told me. 
but i know this - i know i served with some heroes. not all, but many. 
and some died over there. 
up route tampa, where the Tigris meets the Euphrates. 
and Fallujah...
but these Men deserve - no, need,  to have their stories told. 
there's only so many caped crusaders with super powers i can stomach.
i'm sorry.
and i guess that's why i'm here. because otherwise, i'd just be another citizen soaking up rays on Memorial Day weekend. 
drinking beer.
smoking dope. 
munching ribs, without a clue why.