Thursday, July 31, 2008

charles bukowski

lived a few blocks down from me.
santa cruz st., san pedro ca 90732.
poet. novelist. dirty old bastard.
and i like him.
a lot.
his prose ain't that hot, but his poetry is beautiful. an off-beat-odd-fellow-type beauty. something akin to a toothless hobo clutching a half empty bottle of mickey's malt liqueur under the setting sun in los angeles harbor.
recently re-read some of his poems and i've come to a disturbing conclusion.
i copy him.
not verbatim, but stylistically.
a mental road map to composition.
in fact, i think many young writers do.
in my defense, i dont think i tried to.
just happened.
seeped into my mental vernacular.
a subconscious seed planted in my medulla oblongata. maybe it happened when i looked for his grave site a few years back.
some half-assed supernatural bond.
i dunno.
but it happened.
should i apologize?
no.
he's dead. and i dont think you can copyright a mentality.
yet, the least i can do is introduce some scouts to my favorite, albeit relatively unknown, poet:

Charles Bukowski
1920-1994
one of my favorites:

I Made a Mistake
I reached up into the top of the closet
and took out a pair of blue panties
and showed them to her and
asked "are these yours?"
and she looked and said,
"no, those belong to a dog."

she left after that and I haven't seen
her since. she's not at her place.
I keep going there, leaving notes stuck
into the door. I go back and the notes
are still there. I take the Maltese cross
cut it down from my car mirror, tie it
to her doorknob with a shoelace, leave
a book of poems.

when I go back the next night everything
is still there.
I keep searching the streets for that
blood-wine battleship she drives
with a weak battery, and the doors
hanging from broken hinges.

I drive around the streets
an inch away from weeping,
ashamed of my sentimentality and
possible love.

a confused old man driving in the rain
wondering where the good luck
went.

No comments: